30 November 2016 – 3 January 2017
To escape my hometown over winter break, I plotted a trip to Austin, Texas with my brother, childhood best friend and her boyfriend. To save you a lot of reading, I’m going to give you the condensed version of the trip.
- Drove to Austin
- Ate dinner at Trudy’s
- Definitely get the stuffed avocados!
- Barton Creek Greenbelt
- Amazing place to explore. We only ended up going about a mile and a half in because there so much to see and climb on along the way!
- All you can eat sushi at Sushi Junai
- Worth it (well we made it worth it)
- Nightlife on Rainey Street
- Stopped by 96 Bar and Container Bar. 96 was just average, but Container Bar was super neat.
- Waterloo Records
- If you’re into music, definitely worth stopping by because it’s right by the gallery.
- HOPE Outdoor Gallery
- Highlight of my trip! There was a bunch of people creating art and even more observing and wandering around.
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
- Spiked. Milkshakes.
- Lady Bird Lake
- I walked along the boardwalk for a bit and it was lovely. Lots of locals running, walking and hanging out.
- Mount Bonnell
- Not much to do there, but definitely go for the spectacular view of the city.
- Zilker Park
- Another one of my highlights from the trip. This park is huge (where they hold ACL and SXSW), plus so many dogs!!!
- East Side Kings
- Best meal of the trip. I recommend getting one of the boxes so you can try a little bit of everything.
- Shakespeare’s Pub
- We had to stop by dirty 6th at least once, even if it was at 5pm for a beer.
- Drive home 😦
I could definitely see myself living in Austin! It really is a great mix of nature type pursuits and city life.